Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"L" and "R" Movies - Check!!

Tuesday I was down with a head cold; spent almost the whole day on the couch. So what better time to cross off a few more of those movies?

Last week, I stopped in at one of my favourite places - the Videotron in Aylmer. They offer awesome deals on previously-viewed DVDs. For anyone who knows me, you know one of my biggest addictions is buying DVDs. Seen it already? I don't care. Why not just rent it? I need to own it.
So when I was in there last week, I picked up a couple of movies that I'd seen already and loved, but I also grabbed The Runaways and The Last Song, both of which I'd been wanting to see but hadn't got around to yet.

The Runaways follows the creation and short-lived success of the 1970's all-girl rock band, which launched the careers of Joan Jett and Cherie Currie. Part of the reason I'd wanted to see the movie was because of the tie to Twilight - both female leads were played by Twilight alumni, with Kristen Stewart practically mirroring a young Jett, and Dakota Fanning channeling the Bowie/Bardot sex-kitten Currie.


Despite the uncanny likenesses between Stewart and Fanning and the real-life characters they played, I wasn't a huge fan of the flick, which surprised me. I love movies like Rock Star, so I expected to be wowed by The Runaways. And while there were moments that I did enjoy, overall I found it long, a little boring at times, and by the end of it, I didn't feel any connection to the band, their songs, or the '70's rock 'n roll scene. I was also completely annoyed by Michael Shannon's portrayal of Kim Fowley, the manager who brings the girls together and helps them climb the ladder to fame.

It brings me great shame to admit that I far preferred The Last Song. Based on one of Nicholas Sparks' mushy tear-jerker novels, and starring Miley Cyrus, The Last Song wouldn't win any awards. It follows the story of a troubled teen girl, Ronnie, who, along with her little brother Jonah, is sent to live with her estranged father at the beach for the summer. Ronnie falls in love with a local rich boy, and both she and her brother grow closer to their dad, only to find out he has a shattering secret.



I know, I know. Lame.

But you know, some days a girl just needs a chick flick. And bundled up in blankets, surrounded by kleenex, and pumped with Tylenol for my headache, The Last Song was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Plus, Liam Hemsworth, who starred opposite Miley, was pretty hot.


I don't even care that I'm probably old enough to have baby-sat him.

"L" and "R" movies...check!!!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I have yet to see The Last Song but don't think I will be running out to get The Runaways anytime soon...
I somehow think you could have watched more than 2 movies though while laying on the couch all day recovering!

Jill said...

You can borrow The Last Song if you want!
And I watched lots of eps of Friends, Friday Night Lights, and also watched The Price is Right and Ellen...can't stay home sick and not tune into those!!!